 Trains / 17404
Re: Dark Red in trains (was ...Dark Red LMS 4F 0-6-0 Freight Locomotive)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 18:44:49 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steve Barile wrote:

I've looked at the ldraw.org color table but didn't know there was a system
to determine a color value.

272 = (that's 1 (blue) * 16 + 0 (black) + 256) looks awfully like an
equation of sorts, is there a definition on how this works somewhere?

Huh.  There used to be documentation of this (I thought), but I can't
find one now.

It's pretty simple - when you want to mix two of the colors from 0 to 15
(black, blue, green, teal, red, dark pink, brown, gray, dark gray, light
blue, bright green, turquoise, salmon, pink, yellow, white (hey, I did
that from memory!)), use the formula:

    256 + [color 1] + [color 2] * 16

The edge-color of your dithered color will be the edge-color for color
1.  So, for example, the edge color for 272 (blue/black) will be the
edge-color for blue, which is 9 (light blue) in LDraw (other programs
use different edge colors).

Steve