 Trains / 15639
Re: Train Book Revisited
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 06:10:28 GMT

I'm currently working on the manuscript and talking with a publisher. So I
think it's a good idea! :)
SteveB

In lugnet.trains, Ashley Glennon writes:
After noting the continuing popularity of trains at shows and events, plus
all the excitement at BricksWest, it dawned on me that I had not seen a LEGO
train publication.  I noticed that an idea book thread has been bantered
about here, but was curious if anyone was considering writing a book more
along the lines of a beginners handbook?

Here's a rough outline of what I mean:

1.  Overview/Getting started.
2.  Track planning, bench building and space allocation.
3.  Themes/Motifs/Livery. American, Euro plus Era/Epoch.
4.  Loco building basics. Steam, Diesel, Electric.
5.  Rolling stock, building basics.
6.  Scenery building basics.
7.  Structure building basics.
8.  Expanding your layout or making modules.
8.  Public displays and transporting your models to show.
Etc. Etc. Etc.

As you have already discussed (in previous threads), there is more than
enough material to make a train book/idea book worthwhile. There's even a
chance that a company like Kalmbach publishing (known for train books) would
assist with this or, one could self publish.

I am surprised to see so many MINDSTORMS books but not a single LEGO train
book (that I am aware of). Isn't the market for a train book larger?

Thoughts, ideas, feedback, flames?
Ashley Glennon