 Trains / 1562
Re: My experience at Legoland USA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 22:37:15 GMT

Having just returned from LL, I can say that Lar is right-- more like G
scale.  I can also say that the trains were probably the biggest
disappoint of the park.  Whoever built them knew little or nothing about
engines and it showed:-(  The rolling stock was okay, but at that bigger
scale I expected *much* better detail on the Locos.  Even the scale was
off-- the engines looked Lionel-ized-- too wide and not high enough.  If
I had had more time, I would have taken measurements to verify my
observations.

As for the purity issue, guys (and gals), I would say that whatever is
good enough for TLG (only the best is good enough;-), is good enough for
me. [1] Their trains use beaucoup NON-LEGO parts, particularily the track
and wheels!  I was shocked;-)  The couplers were straight metal rods
connecting the cars with *no* attempt at modeling realism. You could tell
that the emphasis of the harbor theme was on the apparatus and the ships,
not the trains:-(

[1] my vindication for using non-Lego parts, if I ever decide to do so;-)

-John

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I'd put Miniland scale at more like G... what we do is fairly close to
O, inasmuch as you can say that we work to any scale in particular.

I would put it closer to S.

Carrie Whitcher wrote:
There is a huge train layout,
much larger than the stuff we do.  It is probably in O scale.

I'd say that PNLTC and GMLTC layouts are no slouches, sizewise.

lugnet.