 Trains / 15282
Re: Adding the SF Coaches...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 19:55:57 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Wayne Sardullo writes:
I wasn't sure when I would get my Chief but, while waiting I started working on
the Chief's coaches.. Much to my suprise I found I got my Chief Today, Yeppie,
what was even cooler was my estimated stripe (red/yellow for coaches) lined up.
Only thing is I still need to figure out how I am going do the roofs (I'd love
a ton of those grey curves but only have a few.) I also still need to work out
and change some of the details on the coaches now that I have the Chief. I
figure another few days before I will have something more detailed. You will
also notice I tried to crossover and give it a slight resemblance to the
metroliner coaches a bit longer though then the standard plates. Don't mind
those black hand rails with Florencent light fixtures, I was trying to see how
the contrast would be because theres to much grey. I'm gonna switch those with
some of the cromed over rails to dress it up some more.

Here's a teaser for you until the rest of my parts come in.

http://www.oswego.edu/~sardullo/images/sfcoach-1.gif
http://www.oswego.edu/~sardullo/images/sfcoach-2.gif
http://www.oswego.edu/~sardullo/images/sfcoach-3.gif
http://www.oswego.edu/~sardullo/images/sfcoach-4.gif

Cool.

Although I'll probably be doing mine with red and yellow stripes too,
techincally the coaches used in the Super Chief(tm) trains were unstriped.

I think my biggest feedback item on your coaches is: make the trucks bigger.
Put a brick or two space, at least, between the two wheelsets. I know that
Metroliner coaches don't... but you made these longer. Use the space!
Passenger cars have very long wheelbase trucks (some even 3 axle). Longer
wheelbases, all other things being equal, give smoother rides.

As to how to do the roofs, I'll probably be doing mine in grey medium
slopes. The rounds would be nice but it would take so MANY of them it's not
funny.