 Trains / 11832
Re: Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 15:04:22 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
Lar said:
I agree those look like adventurers car wheels on the loco. You know, if
they modified the mold a bit to give deep flanges on one side and not the
other, those might actually work fairly well, and that might be cheaper than
all new tooling. Friction worries me though.

  What about rubber bands of some kind in the grooves?  I know they've
  used Technic rubber bands around wheels before in small Technic
  sets, this could be a further evolution...

Whoops, wasn't clear, sorry!

I meant TOO MUCH friction and I was worried about the axle centers. That
engine looks unpowered so doesn't need to increase "adhesion" (the technical
term for the kind of desireable friction that keeps driven wheels
transmitting motion to the track rather than spinning). But all those
technic pins for axle centers worry me. I like to build trains that are
dozens of cars long and you have to have free rolling wheels for that to
work. Never mind the fact that an adventurers car wheel will never make it
through a switchpoint without getting hung up...