 Town / 6929
New MOC: Brickmond Estates (Mobile Home Park)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.org.us.richlug, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:42:45 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

As part of my month-long buildingpalooza leading up to the next RichLUG Train
Show*, I completed another residential themed creation to add to our City of
Brickmond town display.  This time I whipped up “Brickmond Estates” – a
neighborhood that can be seen in the pictures of this BrickShelf folder:

Brickmond Estates is a mobile home park - or at least that’s how the
neighborhood started out.  As you’ll see from the pictures, the residents of
Brickmond Estates have obviously been planted for some time and have made
themselves quite at home on their small lots.  In fact, the Covenant that all
residents of the Estates have signed states that no home is allowed to have its
wheels still attached while used as a residence in the neighborhood. You’ll also
see that the folks from the Estates have gone to great efforts to make the park
“a nice place to live” – not like those other mobile home communities you hear
about in the news or see on “Cops.”

There are currently six homes that make up Brickmond Estates.   I owe thanks for these models to Kevin Salm who totally inspired me with his trailer park set-up at BrickFest 2003.  Here’s a picture of his creations that I found in a folder with pictures of a LUCNY event: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=445193

In talking with Kevin about his trailers/mobile homes, one of the things he said that stuck with me was these models were great for making use of odd colors of which you might only have limited supplies – not enough for a big MOC.  Taking that advice I was able to make use of light yellow, earth orange, light blue, and dark pink (I’d been really waiting for something good to make with this color).   Between the color schemes and the slight variations in design I’m really pleased with the way they all look – both individually and as a collection.  And overall, they were pretty simple to throw together.  The big challenge was eking out the last of my doors and windows to get six of these done.

After they were finished I decided that I wanted to design a more fixed setting
for the homes – unlike Kevin’s models that seem to get situatated wherever
there’s room for them (down by the tracks, oil well and graveyard at BrickFest).
Mine are still “mobile” and self contained – they just sit down in their little
slots in the park but can be easily picked up and moved elsewhere if need be.

This setting for Brickmond Estates may not survive beyond our train show this
weekend (you never know when re-zoning might strike) but I at least wanted
something that looked a little more detailed and established for the debut of
these MOCs.  I think folks are going to get a real kick out of Brickmond Estates
at the show.

Hope y’all enjoy the pictures and thanks again to  Kevin for the inspiration.

Greg

*RichLUG Train Show – Nov. 29th & 30th – Science Museum of Virginia – Richmond,
VA: http://www.smv.org/ModelRR03.html