 Technic / 9005
Re: hovercraft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:55:42 GMT

when i was testing some new concepts of propellor
i found that i had a very much luck :))
because when i did prop with bigger (longer) wings they set more resistance
so the motor rotates slower so it puts less air
when blades were shorter then press less air so the result was the same as
with longer blades :)))
when i used wider wings it was the same

in fact the new ver of my hovercraft is bigger so it needs les pressure
and the propellor was good enough with 2 blades (12V)

pixel

"Simeon Fitch" <simeon@fitch.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.technic, Paul Kleniewski writes:
now i think it's time to present you
my application of as pure as possible lego hovercraft

http://republika.pl/pixsrv/lego/hovercraft/

Your design is very inspirational and exciting. I think you've proven that
there's hope to achieving a nearly 100% lego solution.

I've been playing with a prop design some, and despite not testing it yet • I
thought I'd post it in case it generates some other ideas, and see if • anyone
has any engineering knowledge on prop design and the things we should be
considering. Can anyone explain in general terms the effects that blade • pitch,
length and width have on the air flow and power required to drive the • prop?

The difference between my design and the one presented by Paul is:
     1) 2 blades vs. 4
     2) 4x6 plates instead of 2x6
     3) Blade pitch is fixed, and appears to be steeper
     4) Hub seems to be a little more compact

Here's an MCAD rendering of the design:
http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=308450

Here's the .ldr CAD file:
http://brickshelf.com/gallery/metasim/Hovercraft/prop.ldr

And here's a picture of an implemented model:
http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=308451

Note in the last picture the rubber band. This is necessary as the • cross-axle
configuration behaves like a hinge. This is an area of the design that is • ripe
for improvement.

I think what is novel about this design is the bricks with axle holes set • at an
offset to achieve a fixed blade pitch.

I still need to test it, and hope to make some sort of rig to measure air • flow.

Thoughts?