 Technic / 7790
Re: The Big Crane At Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:10:54 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gregory Muri writes:
Very impressive crane, certainly can see why it was voted #1 Technic MOC!  I
especially like the look of the boom, I just love the look of the beams.

Thanks!

I was curious if this was based on a specific crane or just an excellent
general representation of this type of crane.

This crane was based on typical marine pedestal-mounted cranes of the
400~600 ton variety. I incorporated characteristics of the real cranes into
my model, but at no particular scale.

You will find cranes like this mounted on the decks of vessels used in the
offshore construction and transportation industry.

It's quite difficult to get good details of marine cranes, especially the
larger ones. Most of them are one-of-a-kind models. I've put together a page
on the largest cranes:
http://www.texbrick.com/offshore/

However, the model I built was based on a much smaller crane.

TJ