 Technic / 7763
7762  |  7764
Subject:
The Big Crane At Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:56:56 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I brought a new MOC to the fest- a large pedestal mounted marine crane. This
directory contains a few of my pictures:

http://www.texbrick.com/creations/marine_crane

Many others took pics of it at the fest. Here are some of them:

I'll prepare a proper webpage for it sometime in the near future. It will
take some time, though. I'm hoping to get some video of it in action. Todd
Thuma took some on Sunday, and said he'd share with me :-)

In the meantime, here are a few quick details on the machine:

· Scale (Model/Real): 1:30 (approximate)
· Power: 12V battery (from cordless drill)
· Controls: 4-channel R/C from Hi Technic
· Total Lifting Lines: 2 (main hoist and whip)
· Counterweight: water (in plastic bags) and battery
· Total Height: 6.5 feet; 2.0 meters
· Boom Length: 5.5 feet; 1.7 meters
· Total Motors: 14
· Thrust Roller Bearing: 29 Wheel Hubs (30.4 x 14 VR)
• Total Building Time: 71 hours

The only modified parts used were all the pulleys. The cross-axle holes were
bored out so that they spun independently of the axle. The non-Lego parts
used were the battery, string, water, and the R/C controls from HiTechnic
(www.hitechnic.com).

I'm not sure of the total lifting capacity yet. I did lift my Liebherr R996
model (9.5 pounds), but I'm sure it can lift a bit more, given the proper
counterweight (the water proved to be too little).

I had this on my MOC card at the fest:
"This is a model of a typical high lift capacity crane used in the offshore
construction and transportation industry. It is not modeled after any
specific crane, but incorporates typical characteristics of the real cranes."

-TJ