 Technic / 7345
Re: my thoughts on a technic legend
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:04:49 GMT

"Christopher Snead" <legosapiens@hotmail.com> writes:

I would love to see a Classic technic set come back.  The preoblem is
this: technic parts have changed considerably since then.  Would they
make sets with the old "toothed" half bushes and angle connectors?  I
thought they stopped using those because they split too easily.

This is true.  A lot of the early technic sets include parts which have
changes, or which are no longer produced.  Other examples include the 24
teeth gear cog, which used to have two additional cross axle holes,
making them more prone to breaking.

I think, however, that a lot of the very first Technic sets could have
been released today with very few modifications.  For example the yellow
forklift and bulldozer, as well as the red farm tractor.  I don't think
these sets have much value beyond that of nostalgia, though.

I'm pretty sure we wouldn't see any of the old technic friction pins, either.

The old friction pins are functionally mostly the same as the old ones,
so that shouldn't pose a problem.  The old ones are probably a tad bit
more rigid, though.

As far as I can tell, though, it looks like the pneumatics haven't chenged much
over time.

They most certainly have!  The old system had less quality (IMO), and it
was single acting, meaning that it used an additional 2x4 valve brick,
so that retracting the piston was a matter of "sucking".  There also
existed two different pneumatic piston lengths, and there were no small
pistons.

Fredrik

--
http://folk.uio.no/fredrigl/technic/