 Technic / 6350
6349  |  6351
Subject:
Bucke Wheel Excavator (ISCC entry)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.contests, lugnet.build, lugnet.announce, lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 19:32:57 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi @ll,

I build a Bucket Wheel Excavator as my entry for the 1st International System
Creativity Contest at 1000steine.de

http://www.1000steine.de/themen/bauwettbewerb/049/049.htm

A maschine like this works in the brown caol district "Garzweiler" near Cologne
and Duesseldorf in West Germany. It is 200 m long and nearly 100 m high.

The LEGO model is 170 cm long and 110 cm high. The wheel bucket, the cables to
lower the main boom and the whole upper structure can be rotated by  9V
powermotors. There are also 3 Powermotors in the lower structure to "drive" the
whole excavator on its 1500 wide Technic Chain pieces. But unfortunatelly the
model is to heavy (over 10 kg) so the ABS gears will collapse :-(

I showed the model last Sunday at our anual meeting in Hatterheim (you might
have seen pictures at brickshelf).

The open mining concept means that many villages have to move before the
excavators can start digging their gigantic whole into the earth surface. I
personally are very impressed by the technical aspect but I parallel have
concern about the social and ecological aspects. This gave my the idea to
"organize" a protest march against the destroying power of such maschines.

Protest on brickshelf:

Kind regards,

HoMa