 Technic / 16908
16907  |  16909
Subject:
"Lobster" - Mecanum wheel car drives in any direction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2010 05:43:28 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Here is something I’ve been wanting to make for a long time, finally made possible by an amazing design for “Mecanum wheels” due to Zblj over at Eurobricks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbtlbtkp6-w

Mecanum wheels are similar to “omniwheels” except that the small wheels are oriented diagonally. This allows a vehicle that can drive forwards in the usual way, but can also move sideways or turn by rotating the wheels in different directions. What makes this one different is that it is controlled by a system of differentials (similar to an add/subtract mechanism but a little more complicated). This means it can be controlled by just 3 motors: one for forward/reverse, one for sideways, one for turning. With a lot of effort I was able to get the mechanism quite compact - it uses only 4 differentials. I usually settle for pure functionality, but this time I made some limited attempt at styling too... Enjoy!

Alexander