 Technic / 16627
Re: Chain Precession Drive - Courtesy of TechnicBRICKs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:26:57 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Owen Dive wrote:
In lugnet.technic, William Leue wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Alexander Holroyd wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Owen Dive wrote:
See
http://technicbricks.blogspot.com/2008/02/week-techvideo-2008-06-chain-precession.html
for the original post.

I have just built this device, and I am blown away by the genius and simplicity
of its operation.

Very well done indeed.
Owen.

I agree - very very impressive!

It is indeed a noteworthy invention. Please note, however, that the DAT file
linked to from the web page has an error: you need to substitute part 2825.dat
(Technic liftarm 1x4 with boss) for the part 32017.dat (Technic liftarm 1x5)
that is shown. A bit of experimentation will show you why immediately.

-Bill Leue

Bill.

Perhaps you could elaborate on that a little? I can't see that part working
there at all - the 2825 part has crosses at both ends, and you need the axle
attached to the gear to be able to rotate freely.

Owen.

Apologies for not having part numbers to hand..

You did mean the 1x5 not the 1x4 liftarm? if so Owen is right the cog must turn
freely hence the excessive 1x5 liftarm. I would be interested to see if you have
a working redesign...

If you meant to replace the '1x4 liftarm' and a 'bush' with the '1x4 liftarm
with boss' and a 'half bush' then you will have a clearance issue with the cog
teeth. The bush is the only part that will clear the teeth and keep the correct
tension for clearing 4 teeth per turn, if you use just an axle the tension is
inadequate and you may clear either 3 or 4 teeth per turn making it a bit
random..

I have built a 6:1 ratio drive around a 24 tooth gear this uses a 1x3 liftarm
and a 1x4 liftarm (again offset for the smooth hole) this uses just an axle (no
bush) for the correct tension.

Regards

Mike