 Technic / 16551
16550  |  16552
Subject:
Truck
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam, lugnet.build, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2009 21:32:47 GMT

This truck was my first attempt to merge Technic and Model Team into one MOC:

I built it quite a while ago but only recently took the pictures. Since I make more concept models and not many finished Technic MOCs I thought it would be good to post it.

As well as the usual steering, differential, opening doors and motor drive, the truck features an automatically-raised centre axle, which drops when a trailer puts weight on the 5th wheel. The 5th wheel is sprung in a way compatible with the 8872 transporter trailer pin scheme (a bush trapped by a latching lever). There are 12V headlights but I hadn’t yet wired them up inside.

I admit that few trucks have a centre axle that both lifts and steers, these being mutually exclusive options for real trucks, but the idea was to put lots of Technic functions into a more realistic looking truck. It’s not modelled on any particular type and the sleeper cab may be longer than a real European one.

A shame some of the bricks have faded in the few years it’s been built. It’s not been anywhere near a window sill!

I’d really like to see TLG put many Technic functions into Model Team models and make new Model Team sets with more “play value”. It might be more commercially viable than a full 1:13 scale truck set (a real pipe dream!).

Mark