 Technic / 16486
MOC: Tower Crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2008 01:05:16 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I have recently finished a Technic Tower Crane with Power Functions.

As with most of my Technic I was aiming for functionality rather than aesthetics, and I think after many hours tinkering I have achieved a successful Model. It stands at just over 2 Meters (6’6”) maximum height, and weighs in at 3.4Kg (7.5lbs) it is capable of lifting upto a maximum of 850g (~2lbs) or one 7905 City Tower Crane!

Power Functions IR Controls: Slewing Rotation, Boom Hoist Winch, Hook Winch, and Counterbalance Extension, via Linear Actuator.

More Pictures and some lifting specs in my BrickShelf Folder.

When I started building this crane I wasn’t overly sure whether I should go with a standard ‘flat top’ or a ‘luffing boom’ design, the boom truss was the first part I constructed and would is suitable for either design the side rails are clean enough to run a trolley(there are even stoppers at the end!) it is very lightweight and of decent strength! (all in 325 grams /11.5 Ounces)

The Tower was the second component I worked on, this was actually far more challenging than I first expected, I was determined to use studless Technic which presented the first problem, My initial designs where not truly 3D and were not able to provide enough cross bracing, and while strong enough end to end and side to side, were far too twist-able, lacked Torsional stiffness, the resolution to this was a true 3D truss with cross bracing in all three dimensions, this is not quiet as easy as it sounds as studless Technic beams connects in only 1 dimension, the holes, meaning that building in 3D needs lots of connector pieces which have multiple dimensions, the Technic, Pin Joiner Perpendicular 3L with 4 Pins proved most suitable, and combined with Technic, Pin Joiner Perpendicular 3 x 3 Bent with 4 Pins provide all the connectivity I needed. However there is an excess as there are pieces repeated in multiple dimensions, and also a few aesthetic parts also, giving a heavy Tower. 98cm 1.4Kg (heavy is not a bad thing! as it adds to stability)

Next came the turntable, I decided that loads needed to be transmitted by more than just the turntable so I used the top beams of the tower as a load bearing and mounted the turntable just below inside the tower, it turns out that using a worm screw on the outside of the turntable is not as easy as it sounds due to the required clearances inside the tower, fortunately one of the first designs I put together fitted perfectly inside, and no amount of tinkering seemed to provide any other method that would fit... so I gave up trying to improve it, and just built a gear train that would drive the screw while fitting around a load bearing structure, and housing a motor. The result I think is pretty neat and compact. There is no tie down on the turntable I intended the crane to balance hence would not need to support negative turntable loading. (it turns out that the turntable is strong enough to hold until after the tower topples, but provides ideal saftey breakaway, yes it has crashed..)

Eventually I decided upon the luffing boom, as I was interested in the swinging counterweight design that is used on the Terex CTL 340-24-HD23 type crane, however I wanted to add to this by placing an actuator into the balance-boom connector arm providing additional balance stability and lift capability, and using the fourth PF IR channel.

The next stage was to add the superstructure, this was simply a task of aligning the boom mount above the turntable, Positioning the boom hoist A-Frame and positioning and and checking clearances for the counterbalance swing arm mechanism, the linkage is supported near to the boom pivot, and must clear the turntable when the boom is in any position and also at both extents of the actuator.

This was where I made a nasty error, as the motor driving the actuator also needs clearance for the full swing, in both the extended and non extended positions, unfortunately the clearance was lacking at full extension and while test lowering the boom (with a balancing load) I realised too late that the the boom-ballast connecting arm was no longer pushing straight as the motor had caught, and that the middle of the beam was giving, this happened to be the weakest point which is the end of the actuator, where the plastic is moulded onto the metal shaft! I caught it before it snapped but I now have a deformed actuator, doh!

Once the geometry was correct I fixed the A-frame position and working within the space defined by the frame constructed two geared winches, this space was a little tighter than anticipated, and due to the rear being wider and so able to hold more cable on the winch drum, led to the odd cable routing, whereby the longer hook cable is driven from the rear winch, and passes over the winch mechanism (via the A-frame) then below the front winch and up the boom, this routing allows both cables to snake from side to side winding evenly, without clashing. If I were to redesign I might consider widening the superstructure, both for more internal space and also for stability, by attaching the boom more securely. The narrow frame made it impossible to mount the IR receivers inside the structure, and although the receivers can be placed back to back one stud apart the plugs will not allow this due to them being 2x2.5+cable in size (seems a daft size now! if only that protrudance were a cable width shorter....) this left me with no alternative than to mount them above the frame. The middle proved most convenient for cable lengths (1 length from the turntable motor) so they were mounted onto the A-Frame.

The final task was mounting a cab onto the side of the turntable, and the crane was complete!

Any comments or questions welcomed!

Mike.

PS yes that is me.