 Technic / 16478
Re: 12 Tooth bevel gear case
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:55:58 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Philippe Hurbain wrote:

   I hadn’t even thought about it. I can use the wheels. Are they build much stronger than the bevel gears? That is a very good idea. Thank you!

I have not yet broken them... But the best point is they don’t slip, as slipping cause excessive wear of gears. For example the first version of my killer dozers (http://philohome.com/kdozer/kd.htm) used the 12 double bevel gear but after playing some time gears kept on slipping because their teeth were worn out. After replacing them with knob wheels (http://philohome.com/kdozer/kdi1.jpg), no more problems!

Philo

The 10178 Motorized Walking AT-AT set uses them to drive the legs because a lot of torque is needed to move all that weight -- you can hear the motor straining with every step.