 Technic / 16218
Re: 8475 and 8366 RC buggies Receiver unit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2008 15:40:54 GMT

I dismantled the one from my 8475 because I was sick of the steering slightly
over-running when it centred up again.

It uses a quarter-gear a bit like the end of this bionicle piece:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=41667

And it makes electrical contact with a series of arcs etched on a circuit board
in a sort of binary pattern.  From the range of arc sections it makes contact
with, the controller knows roughly what angle it's at.  It then uses a small
motor to drive it to the left or right, until it detects it's in the right
position.  But it's a bit of a slack mechanism, and the motor is prone to
over-running, so it's not very good at centering itself properly.

Jason R

Did you by chance happen to take any pics?

Yes, I have heard many complaints about over-running steering, so I consider
myself lucky, both of mine center perfectly.

The sets came with a steering extension (with the rack and pinion inside) that
has a small level that is supposed to help correcting that, did it help?