 Technic / 15966
15965  |  15967
Subject:
NXT Sumo - NXTize it all!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2007 07:49:52 GMT

Some of us here in Indiana and surrounding areas recently got together for a
"just for fun" sumo event. We didn't keep score, and in fact the goal was to use
stock LEGO models as much as possible. We started out with making five copies of
the #8275 Bulldozer autonomous by having an NXT "drive" them using the Hitechnic
IRLink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrw2gXLLtKY

We said you had to keep the treads (so everybody was equally handicapped on
traction issues) and the front blade (because, well... it just looked cool), but
could modify the back attachment if we wanted to. John added a nasty-looking
weapon, that unfortunately didn't see a lot of good play... but it looked
*great*. Mine was just "solid" - not even opponent detection, but it Stayed On
The Ring. Steve's was active opponent detection, while Bryan's not only detected
opponents but tried to clobber them (sometimes with great results).

After that, we build stock Tribots, and again modified them just a little
(swapping out some casters, adding front weapons & edge detection) and running
some more sumo matches. 'Course, we couldn't leave well enough alone, and
starting running just about every autonomous robot we had handy in sumo mode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYKlFIl6PFY

I'm posting this up in .Technic as well as .Robotics because a lot of the later
"entries" were modified stock Technic models: the Forklift, some trucks, and the
new Combine (which somebody recently asked about - John's trying to post on it),
in addition to the PF Bulldozers. We had a very good time doing all this. I
think Steve is going to post a write-up sometime soon on his website here:

http://www.teamhassenplug.org/sumo/

(Not yet, but hopefully soon)

--
Brian Davis