 Technic / 15943
15942  |  15944
Subject:
Bridgelayer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.military, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:21:31 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi all,

Here's my newest armored vehicle, and one I've been meaning to build for a long
time. I can honestly say that the Armadillo Armored Bridge Launcher is probably
the most challenging MOC I've built in my 25 + years, and it's quite satisfying
to finally see it come together

The bridgelayer gives armored forces on the move access across small rivers and
other obstacles.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MagnusLauglo/Military/Armadillo/image0001.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MagnusLauglo/Military/Armadillo/image0009.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MagnusLauglo/Military/Armadillo/image0012.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MagnusLauglo/Military/Armadillo/image0021.jpg

I've been interested in incorporating Technic functionality into minifig-scaled
creations, and this is more complex than anything I've tried before. Figuring
the mechanisms for raising the bridge and supporting the weight of the whole
thing took me a while, all in all the MOC took about three months to complete.

The Armadillo moves the bridge itself in much the same way as a real bridge
launching tank, but uses a system of string to actually open and close the
bridge, whereas on the real thing I think this is mechanically controlled. The
front support brace helps preventing from tipping forward, but there is also a
boat weight in the back to serve as a counterweight to the bridge itself. The
weight of the bridge puts a great deal of strain on the gears, and it's only
because LEGO is so strong that the thing actually works.

The Armadillo is crewed by a driver and commander. It has plenty of storage
space for various combat engineering equipment, and has two remote control
machine guns for self-defense.

Check out the BrickShelf gallery:

Even better, try the Flickr gallery with notes for each picture:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78224984@N00/sets/72157602442448636/

PLMKWYT!

Magnus

PS: Also, any military builders or fans who haven't yet, should check out the
Military LEGO Flickr group at: http://www.flickr.com/groups/legomilitary/