 Technic / 15941
Re: 8480 Technic Space Shuttle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2007 22:59:43 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Dan Berladyn wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I just acquired an 8480 set (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8480).  As I am
sure that most of you already know, I have to say what a fun build this was.
I wish LEGO Technic would produce more sets like this.  I am not a fan at
all of studless construction, to me sets like this one have the perfect
ratio of studless parts/bricks.

Anyways after building this model and enjoying its many functions a thought
crossed my mind; how many man hours went into designing this shuttle?  Back
in the 90's I wouldn't think they'd have used computers to build their
prototypes like I imagine LEGO does now.  How many man hours did it take
LEGO to design this set?   Any guesses from any of you?

Dan

This set is probably my all time favorite lego set of any theme or any time
period ever. It is absolutey amazing. I think that the designers of this set had
a hugh amount of shear talent. I am pretty sure that nowadays they use computers
to help design their sets tho I cant think why. isn't it better to prototype in
the real thing? Of course they might find it quicker and easier. However I think
alot of the design of the space shuttle is simply inspired, something that CAD
doesn't lend itself that well to. The designers of this set might have been well
versed in CAD but I get the impression from this set they were AFOLs far more
than anything else. They really wanted to create the best technic model ever by
having a new level mechanical functionality and complexity that hasn't been
matched before or since, and it really paid off. I can imagine they put alot of
time into designing this set. Bearing in mind this set is flawless and is
possibly the 50th version (after 49 prototypes) off the designers desk I would
probably have to say, hmmmmm, 600-1000 man hours?