 Technic / 15648
Re: New Monorail System (MOC)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 22:19:14 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Mark Bellis wrote:
This monorail
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mbellis/Technic/Power-Functions/Roller-Coaster/pf_roller_coaster_2.jpg
is built with tracks from Snowmobile 8272 and the forthcoming Bullozer 8275.
The Power Functions system
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=226241 allows IR remote control
of the train.

[snip]
The best thing about this monorail concept is that its availability is up and
coming, not in the obsolescence market!  A snowmobile has 28 track links and a
bulldozer will have 84, so better save up for those bulldozers!

Gallery when moderated: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=237939

PLMKWYT
Mark

it's a cool concept but not very cost effective. i imagine those tank treads are
going to go for .20 cents or more on bricklink. i could see this being feasable
for something large and possibly space, but i'd concider trying something
cheaper. 1x2's or 1x3's stacked in a 3-4 brick tall wall as the track with
rubber tires for the drive mecanisum would be alot cheaper and more flexable.

ondrew

The track link price range is currently $0.50 to $0.90, so you're quite right
about it being unfeasible for now, but I was surprised to find that the
break-even point, below which the track link price would make a tracked monorail
track as cheap as the old monorail (assuming structure parts such as Technic
beams are already in one's collection), is above $0.20 for some monorail track
pieces (due to their rarity and popularity):

Taking the Bricklink price guide average prices, and assuming that it takes 44
track links to make a 33L straight equivalent to a 32L old monorail straight,
the track monorail is cheaper if the links are under $0.266 each.

For short straights it's $0.239 and for a short curve it's $0.304.  For the more
common 90 degree curves it drops to $0.041 (I wish the tracks were that cheap
but it will never happen as they weigh 1.38g), and for ramps it's $0.075.  It's
more difficult to calculate for points.

I'd like to think the scheme could become more feasible if the track link price
drops when the bulldozer is released.  I hope it will!  My hope is fed by the
recent drop from $1.00 to $0.90.

The additional possibilities for roller-coasters also increase the appeal...

Mark