 Technic / 15417
15416  |  15418
Subject:
Pneumatic cylinder/pump
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2006 09:38:38 GMT

Hi all.
For all those who, like me, have many pneumatic cylinders, but only a
limited supply of pumps, I believe I have come up with a way to get a
source of air pressure, using a cylinder and two switches. I've knocked
a quick circuit diagram up in Paint.

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2114017>

The following sequence should be followed. Compress the cylinder, then
flip the switches, then extend the piston, then flip the switches. Then
repeat.

Of course, the mechanisms required to make this work may well make this
too big to be useful, but you could hook up many cylinders in parallel
to increase ariflow, and if it's the only source of air that you have... :-)

I haven't yet had the chance to actually build this, as all my
pneumatics are currently engaged in other projects, but I can't see any
reason why it wouldn't work. The only thing that's bothering me is that
it seems so simple, yet I've never seen it before.

If someone knows of any reason for this not to work, please let me know.
Play on.
Owen.