 Technic / 14957
    Mechanical obstacle avoider —Alexander Holroyd
   Everyone makes a Mindstorms robot that drives forward until it hits an obstacle, then reverses and turns for a short distance before resuming its forward motion. Here is a robot that does the same by 100% mechanical methods. It has only one motor, (...) (18 years ago, 13-Dec-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Mechanical obstacle avoider —Philippe Hurbain
     Interesting little device, reminds me this one: (URL) in terms of mechanical IQ, yours is far ahead... (...) Probably indeed ;o) Philo (18 years ago, 13-Dec-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Mechanical obstacle avoider —Ignacio Martinez Vazquez
   You are awesome. I had read about this in some lego paper about gearboxes, specifically shiftable ones. It said the problem was keeping the car in reverse for a while instead of jittering back and forth. Now I -really- want to get into the (...) (18 years ago, 13-Dec-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Mechanical obstacle avoider —Alexander Holroyd
   Thanks Ignacio and Philo for the nice comments! I hadn't seen "Rock Stupid Rover" - very interesting. The idea of "mechanical computing" is fascinating. Some kind of signal amplification using a power source seems essential if one is to make complex (...) (18 years ago, 15-Dec-05, to lugnet.technic)