 Technic / 14690
Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 12:05:43 GMT

On 03/10/05, Benjamin Ventura <generaldisarray2005@yahoo.com> wrote:
In lugnet.technic, danny staple <orionrobots@gmail.com> wrote:

Ah - understandable. I actually stocked up on them from bricklink, as
I so often found them useful. I admit - I tend to agree with you on
the noise making it "larger than life". Any chance of videos of the
upgraded hoist then?

One other thing - how are you controlling it? I see the huge battery
and counterweights, but what have you got at the other end of that
bundle of control cables?

I am looking forward to the drilling rig - laying pipe as well means
you might even build a small functional Lego TBM - cool.

Danny
--
http://orionrobots.co.uk - Build Robots

Re: control, I am using switches and a project box that I purchased at
radioshack.  Unfortunately this does not allow for proportional control of
machine functions, it is bang-bang.  You can see the tethered remote in the
first two pictures in this gallery:

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=123410>

So control is basically an aluminum box with a bunch of 3 position, 6 pin
switches on it (forward, off, reverse).

I will get video of the digging action with the new hoist powerplant.

I think a tunnel boring machine would be an awesome lego project, that is up
there on my list of things to build.  I think the ultimate project would be a
working giant bucket wheel excavator.

I don't have pictures of the prototype drilling rig yet but I'll get some
soon.
Over the weekend I made some progress there: I build a clamp-like lego
structure, that has motorized wheels on the inside of the clamp's fingers.  I
then put a 1/4 inch diameter threaded steel pipe in the clamp.  For the
drilling
bit, the pipe has an adapter to fit a wider pipe at the bottom, and I used a
dremel to cut 4 teeth into the bottom of the adapter.  Then I hooked up a
garden
hose to the top of the pipe (with a swivel adapter allowing the steel pipe to
spin, but the hose stay still), turn the clamp's wheels on, and stuck the
thing
on some dirt.

So, the motor-clamp turns the drill pipe, and the water from the hose comes
down
the drillpipe & out the bit, and is supposed to remove the material after the
bit cuts it.

It kind of works.. there are problems with friction but I think if I keep at
it
I can really get it to dig.  Stay tuned!

-Ben

Ah - now you have pointed it out I see it. I am not a Lego only
evangelist, but there is scope for it to be replaced with some Pole
Reverser switches and a Lego frame. I am wandering if an RCX could be
used with it, to automate it for fun.

I really like the marbles + hailfire rails for a turntable with
bearings. Could Lego soccer/basket balls be used for that or would
they be a little too weak? They also might introduce a little too much
friction of their own - but again, just a thought. What is the weight
of the load they are bearing? I do have to get myself a couple of the
hailfire rings.

I am having a bit of trouble picturing the rig you have built, I dont
quite get what those wheels on the clamp fingers do I am afraid -are
they actually turning the drill bit? I cant wait for some pictures
though...

Danny
--
http://orionrobots.co.uk - Build Robots