 Technic / 14648
Re: Help please: I'm trying to get two outputs from one shaft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 20:28:38 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Tony Hafner wrote:
In lugnet.technic, David Wegmuller wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Tony Hafner wrote:
I have one shaft that will be turned by a motor in either direction.  And
I want to get two different outputs, based on which direction the motor is
turning.

Hi Tony,
Here is something I put together real fast during my lunch break:
http://wegmuller.org/v-web/gallery/OneInTwoOut The movies are quite big
(4MB a piece) but they show clearly how this thing works... Notice that it
works in any position as the mechanism is balanced.

This is great stuff, and will probably work for my application.  It's
mechanically much simpler than a differential with rachets.  Thanks!!

Followup... this works beautifully.  I was a little worried at a few stages of
construction when the 1x4 brick sometimes would rotate until it wasn't engaging
either gear and then sit there with the 8t gears spinning freely- but in the
full assembly it's quite reliable.

My whole rig came together very nicely in ~4 hours, with this problem as one
small piece of the puzzle.  Now I probably need to spend about another 8 hours
making it run more smoothly and 8 more to make it look nice.

The details of this project are under wraps until NWBC, but I'll be sure to post
it here afterwards.

Thanks again, David!

--
Tony Hafner