 Technic / 14643
Help please: I'm trying to get two outputs from one shaft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 18:31:34 GMT

I have one shaft that will be turned by a motor in either direction.  And I want
to get two different outputs, based on which direction the motor is turning.

When the Input shaft turns clockwise, Output 1 turns and Output 2 does not.
When the Input shaft turns counter-clockwise, Output 2 turns and Output 1 does
not.

Compact is nice, but the whole assembly is already going to be rather bulky and
I'm not too worried about it.  This needs to be fully mechanical (ie no
switches/sensors/etc).  The whole assembly will be tilting in a range possibly
between 45 degrees up and 45 degrees down along one axis, so I can't rely too
heavily on gravity.

My current thinking is a differential with a ratchet on each of the outputs, but
the simple ratchet designs I know of won't work consistently in the required
tilting range.  I'm open to suggestions for better ratchets or a whole new
approach.

I searched .technic for this kind of thing, but didn't see anything.  I suspect
this isn't a new problem, though, and would be happy enough with links to
discussions along these lines.

Thanks!

--
Tony Hafner