 Technic / 14569
Re: New 3-Input Multi-function Pneumatic Logic Gate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 22:17:40 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Mark Bellis wrote:
Here's my latest pneumatic logic gate with differential inputs and outputs.

This one has 4-switch reversers to make it configurable for almost any
combination of inputs.  Replace the reversers with permanently swapped hoses
when you have the function you want.

It uses two of Kevin's 4-switch AND modules.

You can make the output go high in 1, 3, 5 or 7 of the eight combinations of
inputs A, B and C.  A table shows which combinations of reverser settings do
what.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mbellis/Technic/Pneumatics/Building-Blocks/pneumatic_3_input_multi_function_gate_circuit.jpg

PLMKWYT

Mark

Hi Mark,

  It sounds like the swiss army knives of pneumatic logic gates!

Seriously though, it is going to take some serious study on my part to
understand what all is going on here.  Are you putting polarity reversors on all
inputs and outputs?  Intermediate terms too?

Kev

Yes, for the moment, as a demo of how versatile the circuit can be.

The idea is that you find your chosen function and put permanent hose swaps in
the places where you no longer need to change polarity.  Then just keep
reversers in the places where you do want to change the logic function as part
of your MOC function.

The reverser R5 and the intermediate term is the one that adds most versatility
to the circuit.

Normally you can have the output high in 1 of 8 input states (A.B.C etc) or 7 of
8 input states (!(A.B.C) etc), inverting individual inputs with R1, R2 and R3.

Inverting R5 allows you to have the output high in either 3 of 8 input states
(C.(A+B) etc) or 5 of 8 input states (C+(A.B) etc) (depending on R6), again
inverting inputs with R1, R2 and R3.

This is one of those inventions waiting for an application, but I'm sure there's
one just around the corner :-)

Of course you could always add another set of R3, an AND module and R6 below,
(calling them R7 and R8) to make a four-input gate with even more versatility,
but this is probably enough for one day :-)

It shows how our building blocks go together to make more complex systems.  Have
you run out of backhoe kits yet? :-)

Mark