 Technic / 14526
Re: Dual Hex small piston compressor (repost)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 02:20:51 GMT

Hi Paul,
  THanks for the feedback on the compressor.

  Yes.  There are actually two independent compressors that share the same
structure.

Hi Kevin,
  Thanks.  I am sorry for the slow feed back.  I normally can only check in
every week or two as I have no internet at home.  Currently, we are on vacation
in Lacaster, PA on our way to Ocean City, MD.  :)

While at Brickfest, Nathan shared his knowledge of radial engines with me.  My
future radial designs will have an odd number of evenly spaced pistons/pumps.

I knew that one critical issue was that the piston shaft needs to point at the
axle of rotation when the piston is completely expanded and completely
contracted.  After much use at Brickfest, my dual hex no longer did this.

I will be remodling it to try to make a tri-pump design to see if helps this
geometry.

  It is my understanding that the use of odd numbers in radial engines has to do
with the cycles.  By alternating the cycle from one cylinder to the next the
engine will rotate without ever having to go one full rotation and not having
fired.  The odd number allows the stage the cycles are in to magically change
places for each rotation.  It is amazing to me the way it works out on paper.

  I am not sure why an odd number for a compressor would be better.  Nor am I
any kind of expert on the matter.  I can say that with lego it is inherently
easier to build in even numbers.  Also, in the case of engines it allows you to
use two cylinders for each valve, which only makes sense to me.  However, the
pumps have their own valves inside them.  You are in a different world.
Geometry is a problem for me, too.  As an engineer/builder you have done things
I way do not understand.  That is what I love about what goes on here.  I hope
someday to make it Brickfest.  We all have much to share.  I look forward to
seeing more to come.

Paul