 Technic / 12739
Re: SSClagorpion - Compressor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:10:20 GMT

In lugnet.technic, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
   I have yet to come up with a way of ofsetting the two by 45 degrees to get things from 60 degrees to 30 degrees.

The first draft will probably have pairs of pumps at exactly the same phase seperated by 60 degrees of rotation.

While a rotary design will probably be a bit more powerful, laying them all flat could be more versatile. You could place cylinders anywhere you’ve got a little open space, rather than having to make space for a bulky cluster of them.

Here’s a concept design I came up with (click for a larger version). I only have one mini-pump, but this frame is designed to run one on each side. Using this setup, each pair of pumps can be hooked up 180 degrees out of phase, or in any 60 degree increment. Rotate one of the sheaves 90 degrees and you can get all of the other 30 degree increments as well. Slip the gears one tooth and you can get it down to 15 degree increments. Paired sections can be daisy-chained, or linked together over distance using drive shafts.

Hi David,

Thanks for the ideas. I’ll consider the planar design concept (done them before with large pumps), but first I want to try radial. I’m curious which design would have less moving parts? Less moving parts, less friction, higher efficiency.

I’d prefer a design where the pump is sandwiched between two support halves, so that it is harder for the pumps to distort the support structure. In your design, only one endpoint of the supporting pin is fixed to the structure. This means the pump could force the pin to twist in place, and have its shape distorted. Using a long frictionless pin and two 24T gears would reduce the ability of the pump to distort the pin.

Kevin