 Technic / 12664
Re: SSClagorpion - Compressor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2004 22:00:37 GMT

In lugnet.technic, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
  The large pumps expand and contract more slowly than small pumps.
Certainly the circumference of the seals is longer on large pistons than
small pistons, therefore increasing friction, but I don't think that is
enough to explain the difference.

Airflow is what causes this.  The two pumps both hook up to the same size hoses
with the same size nipples, but an identical length of stroke on the larger pump
is pushing quite a bit more air than the small pump.  There's a limit to how
fast air will flow through that nipple, so the larger the pump's bore, the
slower it will close when the same force is applied to the shaft.

That is absolutely right. Nice one David.

It makes me think we could have high preformance pistons by playing with the
variables at both ends. In practice, a boring out of the nipple hole diameter is
like what boosted the horse power in my Corvette motor by boring out the block
.030 over.

(though I would never mod Lego. Unless it was Hi-Technic surplus)

;)