 Technic / 12658
Re: SSClagorpion - Compressor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 22:54:56 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
  Were you able to come up with anything in your compressor experiments?

  The topic of compressors is an interesting one.  As you know there are many
many solutions to this problem.

First of all, no.  I have nothing interesting in the world of compressors.  I
got sidetracked building an all mechanical walker that has no gravity well.  I
think it's a cool idea, which I may revisit later, but I think this design
requires more accurate tuning than is possible with LEGO.  I'll try to get some
pictures posted.

You should go study Dr. C. S. Soh's website for a great foundation on
compressors.

Also, my RC Buggy motors are currently in a robot that needs to be drawn up in
ldraw before I can take it apart.

Anyway...

I have a couple basic questions.

Ignoring time, can both pumps (small & medium) reach the same max pressure?  I
don't think the maximum pressure is really relevant, but the important thing is
trying to get the system to a specific pressure in the minimum time.

I've not studied that.  I think that the max pressure that LEGO can handle is
constrained by hoses staying on fittings, not what the pumps can deliver.

How does the "time-to-maximum pressure" relate to the "volume pumped"?  I would
think they are directly related.  In order to get a system to it's maximum
pressure, you must add a specific volume of air.  Right?

But the force on the pump's piston face fighting the motor plays a pivotal role
also.  The force is calculated by the area of the piston face times the
pressure.  If you have enough small pumps to provide the same surface area as a
large pump, then the push back should be equal.  If you can get to max pressure
with smaller piston face, there is less pushback (why small pumps are considered
best by some).

The force reduces volume pumped per unit time.....

So, to create a reasonable test, you could set-up a system using several air
tanks, a piston, and a couple rubber bands, like Ralph had for his switch (I
can't find the link)

Then, let all the air out of the system, and see how long it takes each one to
get enough pressure to expand the piston.

I'll have to try that

That is fine for a static pressure test.

After that try another test: build a three piston pneumatic motor and see how
many RPMs you get.

Steve

Kevin