 Technic / 12573
Re: SSClagorpion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 16:19:18 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
The prototype leg looks very good.  However, I do have one question.  Given the
angle of the leg, there will be pressure on the sidestep piston to pull the
piston apart.  (overextend)  Is that something to worry about?

I don't think so as long as the piston head is not flexed too much side to side.
Too much misaligment can cause seal leakage.

Also I can try to add a mechanical stop that aleviates the full weight bearing
pull on the piston.

I suspect once you get the switches added, there will be more support.  But it
seems like a stop at one or both ends would not be a bad idea.

So, most of the time, the piston will be extended (except when stepping
sideways).  Would it be better to mount the piston above the pivot, so it's
normal state is contracted?

On one of my previous leg designs, I had the piston on the top.  I intentionaly
put the piston below the leg for sylistic reasons.  I think that the piston is
more "hidden" below the leg, than it is when it is on the top.  I also think
this looks more natural.

Yes, that leg looks very good.

Next, we just need to attach a sensor, to detect when the leg is locked (one for
each front leg) and another to detect when the foot is actually on the floor,
and we'll be set...

I was assuming that I'd use competition arrows for feet, but I'll have to
reconsider this for the front two feet.  Maybe the arrows will have to push the
touch sensors on the feet.

The touch sensors don't have to be in the feet.  They could be higher up in the
leg, or even in the hip.  So, if you manually lift the leg, it would trigger the
touch sensor.  In fact, that may help it sense when it's stepping on something
higher (uneven ground).  Forget that.  You can still put the sensor almost
anywhere.

Thanks. The leg lock mechanism was a very good idea Steve, thanks.  I was really
struggling with the brute force nature of three pistons leveraging on the leg.

Yes, me too.  The leverage issue was limiting how long and angled the legs could
be.  Now we don't have to worry about that.

Eric will still need to be sure a single piston without too much leverage can
lift a fully decorated leg.

I know my designs are not stylistic like Erics, but I do prefer a simplicity
(and therefore beauty IMHO) in my structures that I was not able to acheive with
the three vertical pistons.

I think it was Doug Carlson that said my designs were advanced, yet simple.  I
like that.  People often comment on how few parts I use.

It's usually harder to create a simple design to function as well as the more
complex designs.  People often think it was easier to make, because it looks
simple.  I also like doing that.

I think the new leg design looks much more organic than previous designs.

Yes, it looks nice.  But I'm sure Eric will add a bunch of crap, and make it
look even better...  :)

Steve