 Technic / 12549
Re: SSClagorpion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2004 21:23:45 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:

Nope.  SSClagorpion does not walk using a simple pneumatic motor configuration.

I just came up with an idea for how to make the legs work.  It should make it so
the pneumatic cylinder doesn't have to support the weight of the creature.

The idea is to have the legs "lock" into place, when they are down.

Think about the legs for a folding table.  They lock into place, so they can not
fold back.  It wouldn't take much pneumatic pressure to keep them locked.

Given that the body will not bounce as it walks, then, when the legs are down,
the body is supported by all eight legs.  At that point, four legs are locked,
and the other four are unlocked, moved, and locked again.  {repeat with other
set}

So, the cylinder only has to flip the switch(s), hold the leg locked in place,
and lift the weight of the leg when it's unlocked, but it won't have to support
any weight from the body.

With this configuration, it shouldn't matter how heavy SSClagorpion is, or how
long the legs are, because the cylinder is only moving the leg.  And, this
method wouldn't work, if it weren't for Kevin's 242 design.

I plan to make some kind of model tonight to show what I'm talking about.

Can anyone tell me if/why that won't work?

Steve