 Technic / 12432
Re: SSClagorpion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:58:41 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
Ok, so what's required for walking sideways?
I just happened to think, the legs should be in a known position when switching
from forward/back to side-to-side.

Do the legs need to be in a know position when switching from forward to
backward?  Or walking to turning?  If so, we need sensors for that...

Yes.  Changing the forward/backward/turning muxes needs to be done when the feet
are in the air.  Observing any one foot is probably sufficient.

The above costs us four motors, and one sensor.

Ok, we [plan to] have a sensor on the front foot, and can detect when that is
down.  So, no more sensors are required.

So you said, the forward/backward must be changed while the feet are in the air.
We've been thinking of having a touch sensor on the front feet, so it can detect
when it goes off an edge (like a table).  However, it would not know the surface
is not there, until it trys to put the foot down.  So, all the feet would be
down, and it needs to backup.  Can it do that?  Or will it need to keep walking
a bit?

Overall, I THINK that just adds one motor to my previous list:
1) Activate (move!)
2) Direction (forward/back, turn right/left, slide right/left)
3a) Function 1 (walk or turn)
3b) Function 2 (function 1 or slide)

So, SSClagorpion will walk forward & backward, turn right & left,

step right & left

open & close
two claws, and move it's tail.  It can stay on a table/stage, detect when it
bumps into something (going forward), follow the "controller" or be driven
around like an RC car.

Is that enough cool functionality?

Steve