 Technic / 12421
Re: SSClagorpion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:13:07 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mark Bellis wrote:
A few things spring to mind about this:

3. The model is going to walk, so the force on each leg is potentially a dynamic
one, if it walks fast enough.  When you jump repeatedly, the force on your legs
is not equal to your weight, but significantly more - at least double,

That makes sense, but you may want to take a look at the video of Kevin's
walkers:

http://www.kclague.net/Quad242/q242-forward.mpg

As you see, at the end of each stride, all four legs are at the bottom of their
travel.  So while it is true that half the legs will have to support all the
weight, I don't think the force on the legs will ever be above the weight of the
walker.

It's pretty cool the way it walks.  I'm not exactly sure what it's doing, it
must be some kind of black magic...

I suggest you make a trial compressor engine using a pair of 8475 RC buggy
motors geared down and four pump cylinders with springs removed, with cranks
offset at each 90 degree angle.  Offsetting the pumps by 90 degrees should make
the load on the motors smoother.  The engine will need to be very strong due to
the torque required.  I suggest two shafts geared together, supported by double
width beams throughout.  Use 40 tooth cogs to make the cranks as they're more
sturdy than other crank parts and will allow you to gear the two shafts together
easily.

Yes, Kevin was just talking about using beams for strength throughout the model,
instead of the lighter liftarms he often uses.

I'm hoping he has some experience with compressors.  If not, I'll have to throw
together something using the buggy motors.  Thanks for the idea.

Steve