 Technic / 12399
Re: SSClagorpion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:22:22 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
This will be interesting because it is my first partner build.....

  1.  Typically they walk forward with two groups of four legs.
  2.  Turning is done by using a different sweep, primarily with the front two
and back two legs.

  With four polarity reversors (16 pneumo switches), we can make it walk
forward, backward, turn right or left.  If we used more polarity reversors we
could make one side walk forward, while the other side turns, leading to a
curved walking path.

Two groups of four legs is a simple extension to hex242 and hex363.

Will this type of design allow it to turn in place, or can it only turn while
walking forward/backward?

All of the above.

I think it should be able to turn in place.  That could mean dis-connecting the
legs on each side.

Nope, just dilligent reversal of horizontal leg sweep.

Also, moving sideways would be cool.  That would mean adding a side-to-side
piston, to go along with the forward/back piston on each leg.  Right?

Yes, I think this would take a third degree of freedom in the legs.

Thoughts?

Plenty of them.

The walking mechanism will be completely wired into pneumatics.  For walking
backwards, we can use pneumatic polarity reversors controlled by RCX/Motors.
The RCX may need to know that we are in the right state before it changes the
muxes, so that will take some kind of sensor.

The control could be Motor->pneumatic switch for:
C) Forward/Backward, Stop/Go, Same/Opposide (legs on both sides go same
direction or opposite direction)

We have to use polarity reversors in pairs.  If we reverse the leg sweep, by
swapping pressure hoses, then we need to swap the AND gate outputs (two
pneumatic switches) also.

For walking backward, we reverse *all* the leg sweeps, and reverse the output of
the sweep complete AND chains.  This requires one motor to flip these two
reversors.

For turning, we reverse *half* the leg sweeps, and reverse the AND gate outputs
for the same pistons.  We can hose things together so we can use only one
reversor for this.  So turning requires one motor to flip these two reversors.

Since you want to stop, you probably want to use a motor and a single pneumo
switch to the *off* position.

Ok, so I'm thinking about motors to flip pneumo-switches.  Each of these may be
one or more switches, all activated at the same time.

1) Switch for Start/Stop (on/off)  When this switch is "on" the scorpion will be
walking. (legs going up/down + some other direction).  This switch will activate
all eight legs.

2) Switch to select forward or backward for left legs.

3) Switch to select forward or backward for right legs.

4) Switch to select forward/backward OR side-to-side for left legs.

5) Same as 4 for the right legs.

4&5 are optional, depending on if it CAN go sideways.

Is that right for basic operation?

I'm assuming a bank of legs (right or left) can change sweep direction, but they
will still move up/down when ever it's walking.

Steve