 Technic / 11904
Re: HELLO?!, LEGO CO. ! was: Will the educational arm of Technic & Mindstorms continue?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:15:25 GMT

"Jeff Szklennik" <jeffszklennik@usaexpress.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.robotics, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.general, Mark Tarrabain wrote:
It seems like the writing is on the wall with regards to the retail
sector for many of LEGO's more sophisticated lineups --- press releases
abound about how LEGO is restructuring and eliminating all its
electronics (which I assume means Mindstorms) and movie tie-in • products,
and focus on the core building brick (which I assume means dropping
technic as well).

SNIP

ROSCO

Technic is a theme of semi-specialized pieces, but they're so widely used • in
other themes now (racers, Star Wars, etc.) they've become an extension of
standard elements, so I doubt Technic is leaving.  the theme name may • change,
but i doubt that too, as the 'duplo'-'explore' name change was a
consumer-confusing fiasco.  Technic (originally 'Expert builder') is such • a part
of the 'glory days' of 70s-80s (in US as far as I remember, at least), • that it's
a part of the 'basic brick' concept the press release talks about • returning to.
Mindstorms is a logical, although more specialized extension of 'glory • days'
technic/Lego system, but I'm not sure how to feel about Lego Co. keeping • it; I
think they should, because:

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=44718

Jeff

Well all I can say is that, if Lego do decide to drop production of things
like Mindstorms and Technics, with the amount of people that rely on these
items to build their MOC's ( and that is a lot with me included) then grab
these items now and in any form you can because they will become like
"rocking horse s****" very quickly.

Gaz.