 Technic / 11580
Re: One Input - Two Outputs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:49:39 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Duane Hess wrote:
Has anyone been able to drive two seperate outputs with a single motor? Here's
what I'm looking for advice on:

Step One:
Motor and Outputs A and B are all in their Home position.

Step Two:
Motor is manually turned on and Output A is driven to it's limit.

Step Three:
Motor continues to run, driving Output B to it's limit. Both Outputs are now at
the limit of their travel and the motor is manually switched off.

Step Four:
Motor is manually turned on and Output B is driven back to it's home position

Step Five:
Motor continues to run, driving Output A to it's home position. Both Outputs are
now at their Home position and the motor is manually switched off.

One way to do that is to have a rubber-band/spring/shock holding "Output B" in
it's starting position.  Then, you can use a differential to move both A and B.

Going forward, A will be easier to drive, so it will push A to it's limit, then
B will start moving (and stretching the rubber band).

Going backward, the rubber band will pull B back to the start first, then A will
follow.

The key is having the differential drive both, and setting B so it "wants" to be
at the starting position.

Steve

You also might check out a construct called a Directional Transmission.  This is
a simple setup using a sliding worm gear that does pretty much what you are
describing.  Michael Powell has a web page describing his design that I used
successfully to build a robot arm that used a single motor to perform two
actions: (1) grip+release and (2) lift+drop.

   http://www.sonic.net/~rci/transmission.htm

There have also been several discussion threads here on LUGNET about how to use
this nifty mechanical construct.  I did a LUGNET search on the words
"directional transmission" and found a few threads that may or may not add
useful information for you:

   http://news.lugnet.com/build/?n=3321
   http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=8587
   http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=6190
   http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=11831

There are others, but these are a start.  Hope this helps!

- Chris.