 Technic / 11559
Re: New MOC: Scania Garbage Truck
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 18:23:58 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Reinard van Loo wrote:
   Dennis, you should have some experience here, do you have some intputs?

Yes indead I have some experience here.

The biggest problem is de cab is getting bigger and heaver every time. Today’s trucks has large driver’s cabs and the ones on my creations consist of approx. 1200 to 1500 pieces (versions with sleeper cab and high roof).

That’s why the front axle is always too weak. Reinard mentioned the old 853’s mechanism is very strong. And it is. But the turning point of the wheels is too far inside. The mudguards are close to the wheels so the wheel outcome would be to big.

I always use these:

Together with the Technic plates.

Jennifer wrote is actually is the strongest. I don’t think so. Her Ackerman mechanism is strong indead. I’ve used it for my small Liebherr A904 excavator. Because most of the weight pushes on the back axle the front axle is strong enough. And there are two wheels on each side. The front axle of the truck has single wheels. The stearing arm is long (18 studs in length) and it bends a lot. I saw it once with my Scania T144G with tip trailer. I placed it on a shelf and looked underneath it. Then I saw the axle was bending heavily! I haven’t saw that before!

What I always do is to place slopes between the underside of the chassis beam and the steering arm:

It doesn’t solve the whole problem, but it works well. Maybe I will show some of my ideas soon on my website. I will place this one as well.

I have no experience with the latest LEGO models, so I don’t know how the 8466’s steering looks like.

Best regards,

Dennis