 Technic / 10917
Re: Pneumatic hose color usage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 03:37:06 GMT

In one of the LEGO pneumatic basic sets, you get a light grey hose, a black hose
and a blue hose.  I used the blue hose to get from the pump to the switch, the
black hose on the contract port of the piston (to match the black cap that is
there), and the light grey on the expand port of the piston.

Since this was my first experience with LEGO pneumatics I assume that was a
standard color scheme.  Anyone know why the black hose is longer than the light
grey hose?

In the 8455, there is a very long black hose and a much shorter light grey hose.
You cut these hoses up to the lengths specificed in instruction manual.
Throughout the assembly of the 8455, the same color hose is used at both ends of
a given piston.  It would seem that normally, the light grey == expand, and
black == contract color scheme is not used.

I've only looked at the 8455's hose usages.... Anyone know the motivations
behind LEGO's use of two hose colors?

Thanks,
Kevin

It seems that they changed the color schemes for this a couple of times. For a
long time (1985-1997), almost all of the sets used the one you described there,
with gray tubes for the pump-valve inlet connections and black ones for the
valve-piston outlet paths. Then in '97, the 8459 set had the gray replaced with
blue and also used blue for one of the pistons (both ends) while still using
black for the other two pistons. The following year, the 8462 had the other
scheme you talked about, with gray for the inlet paths, blue for the upper
piston connections and black for the lower ones. The 5218 pneumatic pack in 2001
also used this same scheme. As you said, it looks like they have gone back to
the traditional gray/black scheme with the 8455.

There is one strange exception to the first color scheme though; last year I got
two unopened 8854 sets, one from '89 and another from '91 (I got the second one
since it was at a bargain price on ebay). The '89 one used the standard
gray/black one that all the other sets that time had, but the '91 one actually
had a clear trans-white hose in it instead of the gray one.
This is actually the only set I have seen with that color aside from the
mindstorms sets.

-Gaurav