 Technic / 10302
Re: The Jamocklaquat - Official Pictures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 01:30:31 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

The fruits of my labour. This is my greatest Triumph thus far in my long
history of Lego Building and as a Robot/Mecha builder.

http://www.biomechanicalbricks.com/jamocklaquat.htm

I plan to write up a rather lengthy Tech Document regarding its functionality.
Although not set in stone yet, I plan on holding a Technical Disertation at
Brick Fest this August for those interested in Jama's inner workings.

As I reflect on the effort and vision involved in this undertaking, I want
to thank all of you that have shown support. You kind and encouraging words
have helped me overcome the sheer size and work involved in this undertaking.

This dream come true is the culmination of all things Lego Robotics.
I have only just begun to discover its abilities.

The entire Robot is the height of my building experience and knolwedge.
Yet the techniques I used can be found everywhere, right down to the Technic
sets of new and old. Because of the beauty of the system, the fram can be
updated and modified indefinetly. New Technology and the inherent modularity
of the robot will grow over time. Giving the frame even more capability.

I am equally thrilled and burned out. I still need to photograph the robot
to show it's poseability. I have engineered Jama to be as flexable as possible.
The Mecha can even sit up right in a chair, knees and hips bent to form.

As some of you may know, I have made certain changes in my life to allow me
to live and work as an Artist. Building Jama was my Job. I hope it will pay off.
But, just as inportant to me is the success in your eyes. It is my hope to
open eyes to the possibilities of the Lego System. You don't have to have a
ton of time on your hands or a ton of Lego or money in your wallet to create.

I took my time, nearly a year and I held hope that the parts would come my way.
In all honesty, I only spent $200 since my return from Bricks West to
complete the lower half of the Mecha. I had the fortune of having people
belive in me and my project.

One question I have* to answer right away is this: "Will it walk?"

The answer is both yes and no. While all the joints are there, the motors
and gearing are there. The fact remains that the sheer computing poer needed
to cordinate 41 motors is a monumental task. Coupled with the fact that the
robots reflexes are not fast enought to master the art of "Falling Forward"

That's not to say its impossible, just highly improbable. I mean it could
take 72 hours to take one full step shifting its COG slowly to achieve some
distance of locomotion. Really I'll be happy just to not have it fall over.

Still if its gonna really be a robot, it must accomplish some tasks. With
that in mind, I plan to take some mpegs of it handing objects and doing
something useful. I embark on a programming journey.

Until I release the Technical review and Action Poses. Enjoy the current
images. I poured my heart and soul into this creation. In fact, when I set
out to create the Super Mech-Bot, I wanted to create the ultimate robot that
contained all of the marvelous Technology that the Lego system has. I think
I've done that with Jama. I may take apart the Giant Black Monster and uses
the black technic to create something else. Or until the next giant Mecha
comes along.

My fingers are starting to hurt again. So I thank you and look forward to
all your thoughts and questions.

I present the Jamocklaquat:

The Jamocklaquat - Technic Fig Scale Mecha - Fully Articulated Mindstorms
Robot - 41 Motors - 1 VC - 12 RCX - 1 Scout - 2 Control Centers - 50 Inches Tall

http://www.biomechanicalbricks.com/jamocklaquat.htm

Eric Sophie
LMHoF
GardenSLUG
Human Being
Lugnet Member #1051

In lugnet.build.mecha, Eric Sophie writes:
The Jamocklaquat - Technic Fig Scale Mecha - Fully Articulated Mindstorms
Robot - 41 Motors - 1 VC - 12 RCX - 1 Scout - 2 Control Centers - 50 Inches
Tall - More Action Pose Pictures Soon - ;)