 Storage / 1536
Re: Packing MOCs for Shipment - Suggestions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 19:40:31 GMT

   Hm.

Besides bagging sections of MOCs, I would recommend:
1. Wrapping MOCs in towels or bubble wrap to fit a box...try to minimize open space in the box. On the other hand, do not pack too tight - the bubble wrap and towel keep the MOC from being restricted when bounced around.
2. Have reference pictures in the package. 3. If MOCs have large open spaces inside (spaceship compartments), stuff with bubble wrap for support.
4. List an inventory somewhere in the box.

Those immediately come to mind.

Joe Meno
.space paparazzi!

The bagging of components is good--so is bubble wrap. I’d also recommend using sheets of foam padding--they absorb impact, as well as providing “compartments” for your compartmentalized bags. Don’t forget to pad all sides of the carton well (including the bottom)--those freight guys toss stuff in all sorts of directions--I like to pack as if it’s WWW III (excluding nuclear option;).

You don’t want any space for MOC’s to move around freely in the box. Let the Bubble wrap absorb the shock of impact. If you’re really nervous about it--pack up the box, use one piece of tape, pick up the box about 3-4 feet off the ground, and drop onto a hard surface--then open up the box and check it out. That 3-4 foot drop should emulate any shipping stress that would happen in normal shipping.

Duane, you may wind up having to ship stuff with that new job of yours ;) --same story holds on packing those boxes too. One trick I learned--cutting boxes of corrugated cardboard apart and rolling them into something like a compression spring (kinda like what a cinnamon roll looks like) as filler material is cheap and effective, if you don’t have bubble wrap on hand.

Scott Lyttle (hope you’re liking that “new” job!