 Star Wars / 17982
17981  |  17983
Subject:
The Jedi Temple on Coruscant (Mini and Micro version)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:47:21 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hello dear community!

Today I’d like to show you something different from what I usually post here. It’s also from the Star Wars Universe but not a mini starship or speeder, it’s a building!

Among the most impressive and famous buildings on Coruscant is the ancient Jedi Temple dating back more than four millennia before the Battle of Yavin. The shape is basically a ziggurat - a terraced step pyramid which could be found in the ancient Mesopotamia on Earth.

One piece seems obvious to construct the Jedi Temple with bricks: The 75° 2x2x3 double convex slope (corner slope). They induce the size of the building:

The real complicated part of this building is its socket. It stands on a sloped socket. The correct angle would be realized by 1x1 slopes, studs not on top. A gap of a half plate height is the result. By a rather weird bracket construction you are finally able to close that gap (see detail photo):

All images of the Jedi Temple can be seen at BrickShelf, including instructions:

Now, you know I like building small, very small. So the question occured if you could even scale the Jedi Temple down more. It is possible!

You will say: “Hey you cheated! 2x2x2 double convex corner slopes don’t exist!”

And you’re right. I wish they existed. They would be such an enrichment for all builders. However, the corners of the Jedi Micro Temple are not of this sort. And this not a normal 8x8 baseplate either - it’s a grill plate! And now you’ll most likely know how it’s been built. :-)

All images of the Jedi Micro Temple can also be seen at BrickShelf, with instructions:

... But those nice new corner slopes we still don’t have and probably never will ... ;-)

That’s my story for today! Have a great week, and see you soon!

Yours Christopher.

http://www.deckdesigns.de