 Star Wars / 1411
1410  |  1412
Subject:
Imperial Hover Tank
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 17:06:00 GMT

I tried a interpretation of the Imperial(*) Hover Tanks (from the second
trailer) over the weekend using most of the current Star Wars parts and an
RCK. Unfortunately, when I was finished, the tank looked only loosely like
its intended inspiration. It still has some neat features:

1. It appears to hover (there is a movie of it moving). Using three hidden
wheels and fiber optics for effect it seems to float along.
2. It uses two lights sensors mounted on either side of the tank. Using the
IR radar techniques described on this list earlier, the light sensors help
determine whether to turn left or right depending upon which light sensor
gets triggered. I will post code for that soon on the site.
3. I discovered that you can cover the IR port with the TIE fighter cockpit
window and still send and receive IR data from the RCX at near full
strength...

Check my website at http://rich.cmcsmart.com for some pics and a movie. I
will post NQC code after I clean it up and add some of the DEFCON
functionality mentioned in some earlier threads (the DEFCON code pieces are
very cool...)

* Just what are the names of the "bad guys" in the new SW:TFM film?

Rich
http://rich.cmcsmart.com