 Space / 9432
Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 18:29:47 GMT

In lugnet.space, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.space, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
In lugnet.space, Jesse Alan Long writes:
notably our space program, all over the world.  These same companies are
working with contractors to develop newer types of engines such as an ion
propulsion system for the future replacements of the space shuttle, of which
some people may say that they may be in production and used in outer space
as early as the year 2003.

Ion drives will not be in use in 2003.  The only form of space engines
that are currently in production are rockets.

Are you sure about this? I believe there are ion drives in use on some
research sats already. They are extremely low thrust mercury based but have,
again, been shown to work for stationkeeping, unless my memory is completely
fried.

I want to say Clementine had them but I can't remember.

   Deep Space One, among others, but that was of course only the
   testbed in 1999-2000.  Isn't the service life only about six months
   on the units being sent up now?  (I know one has run longer, but the
   expected life is only about 150-180 days.)

   Boeing (Hughes) built DS1's unit, which can be seen here:

   http://www.hughespace.com/factsheets/xips/nstar/ionengine.html

   best

   LFB