 Space / 9422
Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 03:12:56 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.space, Jesse Alan Long writes:
Did you ever see the Millennium Falcon in the first Star Wars motion picture
where that space craft travelled inside a crater to hide from the Galactic
Empire and they flew inside a space monster?

No I'm not familiar with that motion picture.  That's keen that they
featured an Asteroid Cave-Mouth Monster in a movie.  I just hope that it
wasn't a comedy because the danger posed by these creatures to space ships
is very real and no laughing matter.

(Snipped some stuff about a "Sarlacc Pit Monster" which quite frankly to me
sounds like something that is made up and therefore has no place in a
serious scientific discussion such as the ones being carried on in this
forum in response to the dictate that "space ships must have wings."  Let's
try and stay on topic.)

My space craft is very handy because it has two
support craft that are by themselves very well armed and the engines can
also double as guns and I believe I have around forty weapons total on my
space craft or possibly more than forty weapons and it is only seventy three
Lego studs long, or in the case of human measurements, about the size of the
Galactic Mediator, which is about two feet in length so I think that I do
not need to poke the monster, I think I need to make some nice space monster
burgers and space monster steaks.

I'm sorry - it's been many years since my class on Faulkner so I'm a little
rusty on interpreting the meaning of run-on sentences with multiple layers
of ideas attempting to be expressed so I'm left a little confused by this
statement.  Could you perhaps clarify how an engine can also be a gun?  Are
the bullets fired out the exhaust pipe?  I must admit that a "forty weapons
total...or possibly more than forty weapons" to "seventy three Lego studs
long" ratio sounds very impressive.  I must confess my ignorance though
about this "Galactic Mediator" you've mentioned but if it is only two feet
long I'd have to say that I don't see how much mediating could be
accomplished in the galaxy or how this negates the need to "poke the monster".

My space craft is known as a Gaea
Federation Galaxy Destroyer not because it is a good name but the fact that
a destroyer is equipped with many guns but not as many as a battleship, or
in the context of space, a battle cruiser.

I applaud you for not choosing a name just because it is "good" - too often
those who don't know any better make this fatal mistake in the naming of
there vessels.  My ship is known as "Ralph" - also not because it's a good
name but because I once saw a documentary on TV about folks who worship a
head of lettuce named Ralph and I figure if it's good enough for a leafy,
spherical god then it's certainly good enough for a space ship.  I'm not
quite sure why the "Gaea Galaxy Federation" part is required because it is a
destroyer but I'll take your word for it.  However, you've also left me with
another question - If a destroyer has 40 weapons per 73 studs then what is
the weapon to stud ratio for a battle cruiser (sticking with the context of
space though I am tempted to start speaking in the context of time which for
me has always been the more attractive half of the whole space-time duo).

The primary function of a
destroyer is not only to provide support for reconnaissance teams but to
also patrol the enemy territory for signs of terrorism, violence, and other
threats and to destroy smaller vessels as well as defending the larger
vessels of the representative space fleet, or protecting the bigger space
craft in the space fleet.

If the destroyer is patrolling in the enemy terriory and spots signs of
"terrorism, violence and threats" does it help to encourage these
activities?  After all these are exactly the kinds of activities I would
think one would wish upon an enemy. Also I think your use of the word
"patrol" is a little deceptive - if the destroyer is in enemy territory
isn't "invade" a more appropriate description of its action?

Some of the features on my wings also are part of
my DualFire (IGTM) technology and this technology allows the nine engines,
three main engines, two auxillary engines/intergalactic ballistic missiles,
and four guns/teritary auxillary engines, to act as either thrust or as a
weapon andevery engine is controlled individually so that they change their
functions at the press of a button on the control panel inside of the ship.

Wow! From your many posts I kniew that you weren't simply some guy playing
with LEGO toys and I was right. I can only hope (being the patriotic U.S.
citizen that I am) that your Dualfire (IGTM) technology does not fall into
the hands of some rogue enemy nation such as England or New Zealand.  I'm
particularly impressed by the fact that these dual purpose engine/weapons
are all controlled by a the presse of a single button - AND you've actually
but that button inside the ship.  And I thought I was hot stuff because my
ship Ralph is completely controlled by telepathy from a lay-z-boy and the
only buttons inside of it are the ones holding my space trousers up (I have
this thing about zippers and velcro and don't even get me started on belts).

Have I answered your question correctly, G?

What was my question again?  I forgot.  Oh well, lets just say that you
answered it correctly - I'll give you a B+ which is a respectable passing
grade by any standard.