 Space / 9262
Re: Building big
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 22:54:40 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tim Courtney writes:
"Zac Soden" <zac_soden@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:GF3DH9.HCy@lugnet.com...
Hi all,

I have just finished disassembling all of my models and had my sights set on
a big dropship. I started trying to build it but it just isn't happening. I
don't yet have the skill to beef it out properly. Having a small brick
collection ddoesn't help, either.
Can anyone please give me some tips on how to build the bigger models. I
think for now I'll go down a size and make something else...

Hehe...this after just spending a weekend building on two different large
spaceships using two different building techniques.  Let me try to answer :-)

Ok, the way I see it, is there are two ways to build big.  Both of those ways
need one thing though - structural stability.  When you design a large ship, you
need it to withstand the forces of gravity we are subjected to here on Earth,
because, even if you don't design a ship to land, fact is, we're on Earth and so
is your model.  I'll give the two extremes as I see them, and then my happy
medium at the end.

1) Bricks, bricks, bricks.  These large models use mass quantites of larger
bricks (2xn) to stay together.  It usually ends up looking rather blocky unless
you put what I like to call 'space crap' or what others call 'greeblies' on the
outer surface.  These are parts to make the ship look high tech, they're easy to
do but there's also an art to them.  When you have a large ship, you must have a
strong base (which the ship sits on), and a strong way of supporting the upper
deck(s).  Brick walls are the strongest way to do that, and the thing that
strengthens brick walls is ribbing them with supports.

Basic ribbing the way I do it is lay a 2x4, then lay a 2x3 rotated 90 from the
2x4, so it sticks out 1 stud from that 2 wide surface, lay another 2x4 and
repeat.  The next layer, brick the 2xn wall over the 2x3 so it leaves a 1x2
footprint exposed, fill with a 1x2 there and then go back to the way you did the
first layer.  So, it alternates and gets this 2x3 support integrated into the
wall.  Doing this every 4 studs makes an incredibly strong wall (the master
builders use a variation of this technique on their large buildings).  You'll
see that on the shuttlebay (brick enclosure) of my latest capship probably
coming out in a couple weeks (half done)

2) Panels and hinges.  Here's the opposite extreme - have a few brick structures
tying in a bunch of panels and hinges to build the outer skin of the ship.  You
still need structural stability, but that's often hidden inside.  Having panels
and using hinges to mount them gives a much more interesting shape, and lends to
the SNOT or 'Studs Not On Top' building style.  These ships are very lightweight
compared to the brick ships, but they don't take a beating like the brick ones
do.  You have to be very careful to keep the panels on and if its on display you
might have to fix it often due to inquisitive hands.  This style lends to the
most interesting ship designs, but often the weakest, unless done right.

3) Buid a frame out of technic! I think I'd always do this, but I'm biased -
well over 90% of my collection is technic (but that is changing!)

Regards

ROSCO