 Space / 40838
Re: Clearing up scratches on pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts, lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 05:59:06 GMT

In lugnet.parts, Gaurav Thakur wrote:
It's been years since I last posted here. I'm trying to restore the condition of
some old pieces and thought someone here might know how to go about this.

I got two of the 6989 MCM quarter domes off Bricklink a while ago, but they
turned out to have a lot of scratches in them. The scratches aren't particularly
deep on either piece, but they are numerous enough that they make the whole
thing look slightly opaque. Are there any lapping or polishing tools that can
clean up these pieces and make them look clear and shiny again? I know a little
about lapping computer heatsinks, but I'm not sure if those methods are
applicable to the Lego ABS plastic.

Incidentally, I have a third trans-neon quarter dome from a brand new set, but
the box was damaged and the piece has two sizeable, gouge-like formations in it
despite looking perfect otherwise. Just my luck. :p

-G

(remove the capital S's in the email)
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=CP5670

brasso is your friend!! serously it works great for polishing those scratches
out. it also works great to remove printing on bricks so be carefull if you're
not looking to remove it.  i usualy use a old sock followed by an old Tshirt.

ondrew