 Space / 40017
40016  |  40018
Subject:
TARDIS Console
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 21:38:34 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Lurking shield down...

Hello everyone. I’ve decided to come out of the woodwork to post for the first time.

Being old enough to remember all the 1970’s Doctor Who episodes that would air on PBS (You know the shows that they would air as short breaks between fundraising marathons?), I was pleased to hear that the BBC was putting out all new shows. Unfortunately, being in the US, I had no way to watch them. But then thanks to a hardware upgrade and a little friend called “bittorrent”, I was finally able to watch the first season. (You remember Doctor Who right? It was that show with that guy with the long scarf and the shoe-string special effects that didn’t even try to hide the fact that the aliens were cardboard, bubble wrap, and spray paint?)

Inspired, I decided to build my own TARDIS console:

I can’t say that I’m entirely happy with it, but it did come out as I had planned for the most part: the overall shape, the center column that moves up and down (via a removable panel and an insertable crank). I really wanted the console decor to be better, and I never got around to filling the center column with translucent knick-knacks, but you get the idea. Maybe I’ll inspire someone else someday to build a better moc, but due to a lack of parts, a fleeting attention span, and an overactive imagination, I’ve decided to call it done -- at least for now -- so that I can scavenge the parts and move on to other ideas. (I’m really more of a futuristic vehicles kind of builder anyway.)

It doesn’t look nearly as cool as the new console, but I’m not even sure how I would even begin modeling that.

(And just in case I’m not the last person to hear, the new shows will be coming to US soil after all, by way of the Sci-Fi channel, starting this march. (Woo hoo!) Bon Apetite.)

And now I’m off to finish my birthday LEGO set wishlist. (Although at this point, I’d settle for simply not getting any older...)

Happy Building!

Michael Peek

P.S. Uh... What’s this “441 Posts to lugnet.announce.moc must follow-up to another group” thingy? Oh well, my appologies if I wind up double-posting somewhere.

# /etc/init.d/lurk start
usb 5-1: new high speed USB device using address 13
lurk6 : Lurker sheild generator for USB
  vendor: DE'HeiphenLot_ Model: DK23DA-20         Rev: 00J2
  Type:   Direct-Access                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
lrka: assuming generator cache: write through
 /dev/scsi/host6/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
Attached scsi lurk generator at scsi6, channel 0, id 0, lun0
USB lurker shield generator device found at 13
Restoring lurking shield...