 Space / 39689
39688  |  39690
Subject:
Microscale replica "Liberator" (in progress)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.space, lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.org.us.delvalug
Date:
Sat, 5 Nov 2005 21:26:33 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In microscale: a replica of the hero ship Liberator from the 1978-81 BBC SF drama “Blake’s 7” (sometimes spelled “Blakes7”).

The BrickShelf gallery includes reference pics and numerous prototypes. The final version must wait until I acquire necessary parts in white and/or grey. (OTOH, with the parts I have now I could do an 3vil-themed version in red and black.)

I made a few compromises in this model:
  • The nacelle pylons are tapered in the wrong direction -- to actually duplicate their angles would require a larger scale, which I attempted in some of the prototypes.
  • The cylindrical nacelles each have a 10-sided collar, which is nicely implied by one type of hard-plastic tire (as seen in one proto) -- but that element is too big for the smaller version.
  • The obvious elements for the green-glowing aft globe thingy would be a pair of 4x4 faceted domes, but there’s no way to mount them base-to-base; so instead, I use a single dome and a pair of Bionicle tooth pieces to imply the tapered lip.
The small version’s nacelles rely on the droid-body part. Longitudinal strength for all four hulls relies on 12-long axles (and if they existed, even longer ones would be handy).

The completed version will be appearing in the SF-themed MOC display at the Philcon SF convention this December.